Knowledgeable Child Custody Relocation Lawyer
People leave Georgia for several reasons, such as a job offer or long-distance romantic relationship. When you have a child with someone else in the state, that can make things complicated. The parents may not agree that relocating the children out of state is a good idea. Parents in a situation like this need the help of an attorney who practices family law and has handled numerous child custody disputes.
At The Law Office of Lynn H. Sturges, we have helped parents in the northeast Atlanta metro resolve child relocation disagreements for more than a decade. Our lawyer, Lynn H. Sturges, will help you assert your parental rights while making the best interests of the children the most important consideration in your case’s resolution. She is the attorney you trust whether you are a custodial or noncustodial parent.
Child Relocation And The Law
Relocation disputes can be emotional for parents and children. From the noncustodial parent’s perspective, their visitation rights could virtually disappear or become much more seldom. Meanwhile, the custodial parent wants to continue in that role while also having the freedom to choose where they and their children live. Whatever side of the dispute you are on, the factors involved are the same, including:
- The distance between the noncustodial parent’s home and where the custodial parent is proposing to move
- Whether the proposed relocation is within Georgia
- Whether the custodial parent has a good-faith reason to move, such as a job or educational opportunity, or to be closer to relatives
- The degree to which the move would disrupt the children’s education and emotional security
- The travel costs the noncustodial parent would incur to maintain a visitation schedule
As your attorney, Lynn H. Sturges will carefully examine the evidence and give you honest advice about how to proceed, based on the needs of you and your children. We are often able to negotiate a settlement and avoid trial, but relocation disputes can be contentious. Ms. Sturges is a respected family court litigator. She will present your case to the judge in great detail to persuasively give your point of view.