Using a modification to spend more time with your children
  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Post-Divorce Modifications
  4.  | Using a modification to spend more time with your children

Using a modification to spend more time with your children

On Behalf of | Jan 20, 2020 | Post-Divorce Modifications |

Some parents fail to push for shared custody or adequate parenting time in a divorce because they haven’t had time to emotionally adjust to the new reality that will shape their most important relationships. Weeks or even months after a divorce, that parent may find themselves feeling isolated or depressed due to a lack of time with their children.

Depending on the reason why the courts gave you less parenting time or only awarded visitation, you can request a modification of those custody terms if your life circumstances have changed.

A formal modification is usually the best option

One of the most common reasons for parents to not have much parenting time is that they don’t ask for it in the divorce. In that situation, simply asserting your parental rights can be enough to gain more time with your children.

A modification formally changes the custody order, allowing you to spend more time with your children. A formal modification from the Georgia family courts can do more to protect your rights than an informal agreement with the other parent.

Can you show that you have made an effort to improve?

Sometimes, the courts limit parenting time for a parent who wants to share custody. If the courts noted certain problematic tendencies on your behalf, such as substance abuse issues or unmanaged emotional problems, there is something you can do. Demonstrating that you have been through rehabilitative services or have entered into counseling to address emotional or mental health issues can convince the courts that you truly want to be a good parent.

Other times, you need to demonstrate to the courts that you have space for your kids to gain shared custody. Securing a rental or a new home with bedrooms for your children and furnishing these spaces can show the courts how committed you are to resuming your parental role after the divorce.

Depending on the circumstances that led to the courts minimizing your parental role, there are many different approaches that can help you increase parenting time with your children. Discussing your unique situation with a family law attorney can be a good first step as a parent missing out on time with their children.